Courses in the White Mountains of New Hampshire for backcountry skiers & riders of all abilities.
Women’s Intro to Backcountry
This course is for skiers and snowboarders looking for an introduction to the world of backcountry skiing/riding in the White Mountains. We’re lucky to have some of the best backcountry ski terrain in the Northeast. Your day will start with an orientation and gear check. You’ll learn how backcountry skiing & snowboarding equipment works and also how to securely put on your skins. Last but not least, we will review the latest Mount Washington Avalanche Center avalanche advisory and Mount Washington Observatory forecast before heading out. Along the way, we’ll discuss a number of subjects such as:
- safe route finding
- identifying avalanche terrain and other objective hazards
- snow stability
- skinning and downhill technique
- staying comfortable in the mountains during winter
The location of this course will depend on weather/snow/avalanche conditions, the group ability level, and guide judgement. Possibilities include:
- Sherburne Trail (possibly into lower angle areas of Tuckerman Ravine) on Mt. Washington
- Gulf of Slides Trail (possibly into lower angle areas of the Gulf of Slides) on Mt. Washington
- various backcountry ski trails and glades in the Mount Washington Valley such as the Black Mountain Ski Trail, Doublehead Ski Trail, Maple Villa Glade
Ability Level & Group Size
While this is an intro backcountry course, it’s not an introduction to skiing/snowboarding. Participants looking to take this course should have previous resort skiing/riding experience and feel comfortable on “blue squares” in the Northeast. You should feel comfortable being outside in the mountains for 6+ hours with enough physical ability to travel uphill with a pack for 2-3 miles (with enough energy leftover for downhill travel).
This course has a ratio of 6:1 (6 participants per guide).
Avalanche Safety Equipment
This course may travel in or approach avalanche terrain and avalanche safety equipment (transceiver, probe, shovel) is required for participation.
- If you would like to register multiple people, please complete this registration for each person.
- Confirmation emails will be sent out upon receiving your registration.
- Includes access to private Facebook group to connect with other participants.
- Don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like personal advice on which course is best for you.