Courses in the White Mountains of New Hampshire for backcountry skiers & riders of all abilities.
Intro to Backcountry – No Avalanche Terrain
This course is the same as Intro to Backcountry, but we will not be traveling into avalanche terrain and you will not need a beacon/shovel/probe. This course is a good fit if you want to check out backcountry skiing/riding in the White Mountains, but aren’t interested in avalanche prone terrain or don’t plan to have avalanche rescue gear.
This course is for skiers and snowboarders looking for an introduction to the world of backcountry skiing in the White Mountains. We’re lucky to have some of the best backcountry ski terrain in the Northeast. Your day will start with an orientation and gear check. You’ll learn how backcountry skiing & snowboarding equipment works and also how to securely put on your skins. Last but not least, we will review the latest Mount Washington Observatory forecast before heading out. Along the way, we’ll discuss a number of subjects such as:
- safe route finding
- skinning and downhill technique
- staying comfortable in the mountains during winter
The location of this course will depend on weather/snow conditions, the group ability level, and guide judgement. Possibilities include:
- Sherburne Trail on Mt. Washington
- Gulf of Slides Trail on Mt. Washington
- various backcountry ski trails and glades in the Mount Washington Valley such as the Black Mountain Ski Trail, Doublehead Ski Trail, Maple Villa Glade
While this is an intro backcountry course, it’s not an introduction to skiing/snowboarding. Participants looking to take this course should have previous alpine skiing/riding experience and feel comfortable on “blue squares” in the Northeast. You should feel comfortable being outside in the mountains for 6+ hours with enough physical ability to travel uphill with a pack for 2-3 miles (with enough energy leftover for downhill travel).
- If you would like to register multiple people, please complete this registration for each person.
- Confirmation emails will be sent out upon receiving your registration.
- Includes access to private Facebook group to connect with other participants.
- Don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like personal advice on which course is best for you.