Courses in the White Mountains of New Hampshire for backcountry skiers & riders of all abilities.
Avalanche Awareness & Rescue
The Avalanche Awareness & Rescue course is for backcountry skiers & snowboarders looking to take the first step towards learning about avalanches, what causes them, how they can be avoided, and how to respond to an avalanche incident. You’ll start with some handouts & discussion before heading into the mountains. We will cover the following subjects:
- mountain weather including checking out the Mount Washington Observatory forecast and Mount Washington Avalanche Center advisory
- how to identify avalanche terrain
- basic route finding & safe travel in avalanche terrain
- basic snowpit & snowpack analysis
- transceiver training & mock rescue
Course locations will be condition dependent, but are often a tour into either Tuckerman Ravine or The Gulf of Slides on Mount Washington. Other possibilities include Ammonoosuc Ravine (Mount Washington) or some of the gullies and open terrain in Crawford Notch.
Ability Level & Group Size
Participants looking to take this course should have previous backcountry skiing/snowboarding experience or resort skiing/snowboarding experience (feeling comfortable in variable conditions on at least “blue squares” in the Northeast). You should feel comfortable being outside in the mountains for 6-8 hours with enough physical ability to travel uphill with a pack for 3+ miles (with enough energy leftover for downhill travel).
This course has a ratio of 6:1 (6 participants per guide).
Avalanche Safety Equipment
This course may travel in or approach avalanche terrain and avalanche safety equipment (transceiver, probe, shovel) is required.
- If you would like to register multiple people, please complete this registration for each person.
- Confirmation emails will be sent out upon receiving your registration.
- Includes access to private Facebook group to connect with other participants.
- Don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like personal advice on which course is best for you.