Courses in the White Mountains of New Hampshire for backcountry skiers & riders of all abilities.
This course is for more experienced backcountry skiers and snowboarders looking to ski steeper and/or above treeline terrain in the White Mountains. Your day will start with an orientation and gear check. We’ll review the latest Mount Washington Avalanche Center avalanche advisory and Mount Washington Observatory forecast before heading out. Along the way, we’ll discuss a number of subjects such as:
- safe route finding
- identifying avalanche terrain and other objective hazards
- snow stability
- skinning and skiing/snowboarding techniques in steep ski terrain
The location of this course will depend on weather/snow/avalanche conditions, the group ability level, and guide judgement. Possibilities include:
- Mt. Washington: Tuckerman Ravine, Gulf of Slides, Oakes Gulf, Ammonoosuc Ravine
- steep gullies on Mount Webster in Crawford Notch
- backcountry ski trails and glades in the White Mountains such as the Doublehead Ski Trail, Maple Villa Glade, Crescent Ridge Glade, and Baldface
This course has a 4:1 ratio of participants per guide.
Participants looking to take this course should have previous backcountry skiing experience and feel comfortable making controlled turns on steep and/or gladed terrain in variable conditions. You should feel comfortable being outside in the mountains for 6-8 hours with enough physical ability to travel uphill with a pack for 3+ miles (with enough energy leftover for downhill travel and possibly checking out multiple locations).
This course requires ski/snowboard boot compatible crampons and an ice axe. You may not end up needing this equipment based on terrain/snow, but it’s important to have it when traveling in steep or alpine terrain.
Avalanche Safety Equipment
This course may travel in or approach avalanche terrain and avalanche safety equipment (transceiver, probe, shovel) is required for participation.
- If you would like to register multiple people, please complete this registration for each person.
- Confirmation emails will be sent out upon receiving your registration.
- Includes access to private Facebook group to connect with other participants.
- Don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like personal advice on which course is best for you.