CVA Backcountry is a leader in backcountry skiing and snowboarding education for high school students. Whether your focus is backcountry skiing, big mountain skiing, or ski mountaineering, the CVA Backcountry program allows you to travel to world-class locations to train, learn, and mentor with top educators and mountain guides. This program is designed with the adventurous skier in mind who is always up for exploring and searching for the best terrain and snow. The program teaches student-athletes mountain skills to help them navigate safely in the mountains and develops important skills like decision making, risk management, leadership, and communication.
Backcountry athletes gain experience, training, and coaching in:
- Backcountry skiing in a variety of terrain and snow climates
- Avalanche studies and snow science
- Wilderness medicine
- Rock and ice climbing
- Backcountry ethics
- Pre-season and post-season training
- Mountain biking
Backcountry athletes earn certifications in:
- Avalanche studies (AIARE Level 1)
- Wilderness medicine (SOLO Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder dependenton experience)
CVA Backcountry Program director Patrick Scanlan will be guiding on Saturday and Sunday!
Program Director Patrick Scanlan brings years of experience to the position ranging from backcountry and big mountain skiing, ski mountaineering, rock climbing, and adventure travel.
Patrick is a graduate of the University of New Hampshire where he earned a dual-degree in Kinesiology and Outdoor Education and Environmental Conservation. Previously, Patrick has worked for the Appalachian Mountain Club as a backcountry site manager in Tuckerman Ravine where he worked and mentored under US Forest Service avalanche specialists to build his knowledge and experience in snow science, mountain rescue, and riskmanagement.
Patrick's industry certifications and trainings include:
- AMGA Apprentice Ski Guide, Apprentice Alpine Guide
- AMGA Certified Single Pitch Instructor
- AIARE Level II Avalanche
- MWAC Avalanche Rescue Course
- SOLO Wilderness First Responder
- SOLO Wilderness Medicine Course Instructor
- Leave No Trace Trainer
Want to learn more about CVA Backcountry?
Just register for the Weekend Pass level or above to access demos, hang at the social hours, and attend the evening events...